W5 Infographic
1. What site did you select to create your Infographic? Why did you select this site? What are the pros/cons of the site?
I used Piktochart. I chose this site after looking at the many options because of the different kinds of images they had available to use for free, I liked the graphics that they offered and the design format seemed familiar enough for me to work with.
2. What is the topic of your infographic and why did you select it? Which L.A.T.C.H. method did you use and why?
The topic of my infographic (below) is the introduction to the critters I have in my fresh water aquarium. If the school I start working at allows me, I will this tank in my classroom and use this infographic and the critters inside the tank to teach kids about science and base some arts integration science projects on it! Of the LATCH method, I used Category in order to organize the species that can be found in my tank.
3. What data did you choose to "visualize" on your infographic? Why is important the data you seleceted is represented visually?
I chose to visualize not only my water life but also allude to a tank itself, making a not distracting but visually fitting and pleasing tank like background, with dark water, bubbles and kelp. The data I selected to discuss is organized with repetition so its easy to follow and understand. I made sure to use scale and contrast to my advantage so that the information on my infographic was bolder than the background.
4. Compare the infographic you created for this project to the poster you created using Canva. What do you think is successful about each project? What do you think is a weakness of each project?
My canva poster was cool, but not this cool! I think now that I know both programs I'd most likely use canva for things like this, only because I feel after working with them both, I understand canva better. I think a weakness in the canva poster was business, I wasn't familiar with the design tools then, so it didn't turn out quite as I had hoped. Weaknesses for this project are hard to find- i am proud of it -but one is certainly that I can't go get another fish or frog or snail if I want, otherwise I'd have to recreate the whole thing.
5. Which tool do you prefer using, the Canva or the Infographic tools and why? How do these online tools compare to other layout tools you may have used - Word, Publisher, InDesign?
As stated above, I prefer Canva. For me, it was easier to use and figure out. I actually found myself wishing I could use canva for this project rather than the site I used because I like it so much! Canva compares by having similar icons for design tools, and endless editable graphics to choose from! It offers more freedom than other software sites.
6. On you Blog post, be sure to include the infographic and a jpg of your Canva poster (from last week).
7. From the video " The Beauty of Data Visualization", answer the following:
- What do you think of the quote from Hans Rosling "Let the dataset change your mindset."?( 12:18) Do you think data is powerful enough to change ones behavior?
I think once we learn something, it sticks with us forever. Even subconsciously, we recall these facts and it does effect us to a certain degree. Whether we change our ways of behaviors based on what we learn is subjected and individual, but I definitely think data has the power to change us.
- "Design is about solving visual problems with elegant solutions and information design is about solving information problems" What are your thoughts about how this can help communication with issue with trust and reliability?(16:43)
I think when we are presented with data in an attractive way, it becomes more digestible. The easier we learn, the fast we take in information.
- How does this "data visualization" talk tie into what we have been learning about visual culture and media?
Data visualization, like visual culture, is just another form of visual language in our culture and media. Much like the previously discussed items, data visualizations are persuasive, educational, and sometimes even misleading.
- Of all the dataset examples in the video, which one do you feel had the most visual impact and why?
The most impactful example to me was the one that included more than one informational variable when discussing each countries military spending when also liking at it's population and other factors. I felt as though some ideas I had about the US were changed because I was able to see the big picture accurately.

No comments:
Post a Comment