Tuesday, September 28, 2021

W5 Fear of Failure

 W5 Fear of Failure

😱

  1. What are the similarities between the artists interviewed in this article? What are the differences?
One thing I noticed about the artists in this article was that they’re artists of many different walks of life, mediums, backgrounds and experiences - yet they all share a similar fear: one of failure. They talk about it in many ways. Some similar and some not, sometimes failure is a bad concert performance, other times a bad novel review. Either way, these artists all share this common fear. 
  1. Is there anything discussed in this article that you can relate to?
I relate to something Toni Morrison said. And I respect it. She said “to me, failure is information.” Id never heard it put this way before. I love that concept and I agree with it. Failure IS informations. It’s just there to learn from - data to teach us. Failures happens for a reason. Failure is a teacher. 
  1. Do you believe that taking risks and pushing boundaries is important to the creative process? Why or why not?
I do believe it’s important to take risks and push boundaries in art making. It may not create the desired product, but artists can learn from their experimentation in any medium. 
  1. Do you experience fear of failure? When? How do you think it has impacted you positively or negatively? 
Of course I experience fear of failure- but mostly in areas I am inexperienced in. Once I know a medium or method, a setting or a practice, I am confident. And I know that if I mess up I can repair it. But in places where I am unfamiliar, like with student teaching, I am scared! Once I start and learn, though, it’ll be okay. 
  1. How do you think you can support your students as their teacher when they encounter the "fear of failure"?
I can tell my students to get comfortable with experimentation and trying new things, then talking about their processes. It should help them learn a new way to make. A way to create! Without fear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

w12

W12 https://dodgeev01.wixsite.com/website  What do you think about the process of creating your website? - I thought Wix was super easy to u...