Sunday, September 5, 2021

 W1 Blog Post

Response on Visual Culture

🤍🤍🤍

  • For each of the three videos, discuss what you learned.
  • What is something new that you learned? What did you find interesting?
  • What do the videos have in common?
  • How do you interact day to day with visual imagery, advertising, memes?

  • 1. Each of the three videos on Visual Culture we watched together had something interesting within them. In the first video, I was intrigued by the use of digital imagery, and how there can be a code hidden in them. Even in a highly censored country, people can use a non-written language, the visual arts, to communicate with each other. For example, people posting black and white selfies while wearing sunglasses to social media: from the outside this looks like a simple trend, but to the people participating and aware, it is a political standpoint, showing their support to a recently arrested journalist who was known for his word and wearing his sunglasses. Even on a censored platform, people can communicate visually, reaffirming the idea that art is a second language. In the second video, it was made extremely clear that advertisements are everywhere, and sometimes used against the general population for the benefit of the capitalistic world. They are meant to keep the consumer dissatisfied, and make sure they, the consumers,  always feel insecure about something so they keep spending, hoping to fill the self-conscious void created by the same ads. Materialism, this way, is born. And, in the third video, we are reminded that social media removes the person from the present. As someone who struggles to remain present and mindful throughout the day, and has turned to habits like yoga and meditation to help undo the type of overthinking that social media creates, I can safely say this is true. Social media makes it hard to think in the present, take it day by day and stay in the current moment - which is important to do. Breaks and limits from social media help us, in a mental and social way. I like to remember in times of distress, you are where your feet are. 

    2. Something new I learned was the occurrence and use of visual imagery in coded ways. Specifically, the example coming from China, and the selfies used to show support and political stance. I found it incredibly smart!

    3. In common, all of the videos watched have a similar theme: visual culture is real, and it is a tool used by human beings to communicate - whether its to make money, make a political standpoint, or speak with each other, it is a real form of communication. 

    4. Daily, we interact with so much visual imagery. I once read a study that made a point to say that in today's day and age we are made to see more imagery than ever before in human history - between social media, ads on the road, on TV, on YouTube, in schools, at work - we are bombarded. And it takes a toll on us. I know it takes toll on me. I try to limit screen time, as a way to help with that. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    w12

    W12 https://dodgeev01.wixsite.com/website  What do you think about the process of creating your website? - I thought Wix was super easy to u...